Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Responsibility Acceptance Regret


I know what you’re thinking:  Oh no.  She’s at it again.  Maybe I am.  You’ll just have to read on in order to find out.  Today isn’t so much a bad/negative blog, it’s meant to be more eye-opening.  As adults we are supposed to be responsible and mature.  Many refuse to act as such.  Instead there are a large number of adults who prefer to place the blame on others for things that have gone wrong in their lives.  They are not willing to accept their own decisions and own them, regardless of the consequences.

For as long as I can remember I have always owned up to my choices and their outcomes.  I have no one to “blame” but myself.  Have all the choices I’ve made in my life led to positive outcomes?  No.  Some of them eventually did, but some never did.  I personally cannot fathom blaming another person for the outcome of a decision I’ve made, and quite honestly it irks me when others do so.  I realize they have a right to live their lives as they desire, but sometimes in laying that blame on others it then affects that person’s life as well.  And that is uncalled for.

Yesterday I was thinking about some recent changes in my life, and some decisions that I’ve made.  I thought to myself that I might honestly have my first regret in this life.  That was huge for me because I have never regretted any choice I’ve made.  So, I thought on it a bit more.  I realize that I do not regret that decision.  Was it poorly timed?  Yes.  But I don’t regret it.  Every choice I’ve made has brought me to where I am today.  They have shaped me into the person I am.  Right now with things that have been happening in my life it would be incredibly easy to blame someone for the pain I’ve been feeling, but it’s not his fault.  I made my own choices, and I own up to them.  I will continue to make my choices:  good, bad or otherwise.  If someone doesn’t agree with them, that is their problem.  It is my choice to do as I please, and I try to make choices that will not cause harm to another.

I believe as adults we have the RESPONSIBILITY to not only own our decisions/mistakes but to ACCEPT them.  And ultimately I believe we should live without REGRET.  Regret gets us nowhere.  It is a form of self-pity.  Self-pity can lead to self-destruction.  Neither is a positive option for anyone.  So I ask you, dear readers, to analyze your lives.  To truly think on choices you’ve made and whether or not you have owned them, or if you’ve chosen to place the blame on another.  If you own up to them, bravo!  If you find you place the blame elsewhere more often than not, then perhaps you should question yourself as to why.  The road to acceptance begins within.  I believe we all owe it to ourselves to be the best person we can, and not just only to others but mostly to ourselves.

No comments: