Monday, July 18, 2011

Yesterday and Today

Sunday, July 17

Yesterday was the big day, and I was a bundle of nerves. I left the house early and went to the library for a bit just to try and take my mind off things. I arrived at the testing center right on time and got checked-in. Things have changed since I took the Health, Life and Annuities exam last year. Now if you fail one part you only have to retake that part and not both. I'm not sure if finding out that fact eased my nerves or made them worse. I settled into my little cubby and began the first part of the test. At first the questions seemed really simple but then I started to feel nervous as it seemed like there were questions about things I'd never seen before. Then I got to the second section (laws) which told me was 40 questions and 40 minutes to complete! My brain nearly went into a meltdown with fear of running out of time. Finally I finished and went out to the front to get my things and my result. I didn't have to wait to read the paper because the proctor said, “congratulations!” to me. What a weight off my shoulders.

Today I've been getting organized to start the new job tomorrow. I began with organizing my closet so all the work appropriate clothes are together, then I moved onto the kitchen to make sure things are all ready for me to grab a pro shake in the morning and my lunch. I've even managed a load of laundry. Now I'm just relaxing a bit and enjoying the afternoon.

9:01p

It has definitely been nice to just relax. Amidst my relaxing I managed to remember to fill the hummingbird feeders. The hummies are happy now. Happy hummies make a happy Mina because she gets to sit and watch them.

I've mixed my morning pro shake, and put together my lunch for tomorrow. Now I'm just waiting a bit longer before going to bed. Just because I have to get up super early doesn't mean I need to go to bed at 9:00, although I will most likely be in bed by 10:00 at this rate just so I can get a good night's sleep. So for now I'm going to finish the moving I'm watching and then contemplate bed. I must be at my best for my first day tomorrow.

Monday, July 18
7:50a

Today is the first day of my new job. Big surprise, I'm early. Bigger surprise: I'm more han one hour early. I guess I over-estimated how bad traffic would be. It only took me a little over an hour to get here, which is what it took me the day of my interview. So tomorrow I'll leave a little later.

The office is near a commuter station so I get to watch all the people bustling about on their way to work. There is something so wrong about a man in a suit wearing a backpack and sneakers. Then there is the lady standing outside her car, reading. You'd think it would be more comfortable to sit in the car to read. I'm sure she has her own logic to things though.

The office “park” is interesting. It's not exactly a strip mall but it also isn't just one building. It's a group of buildings – some one-story and others three-story. The three-story ones have apartments/condos on the top floors. I can only imagine what they go for. There's even a small playground area for those with kids. It seems a rather quiet area – if you don't mind a train whistle intermittently through the day. It is, however, a shame there isn't a Starbucks here. They'd probably do good business from all the commuters. Plus I could go in there to sit instead of sitting in the car. LOL (Heck, an iced mocha sounds good too.) so far it's a beautiful day, but it's too early to tell how hot it will be. It's pleasant right now with just the hint of a breeze. It is almost a pity I'll be spending the day inside. Almost. All I have to do is remember why I'll be inside and it makes it all worthwhile.

12:35p

Ok so today has been interesting so far. I am not the only new hire in Jason's office. We spent a couple hours going over things while Jason waited to hear about the training class. Turns out training started today, no Wednesday as he thought. So Christ (pronounced Chris) and I piled into our vehicles and headed to Fairfax for training. We got here during lunch break so I figured I would take a few moments to jot down some thoughts.

Surprisingly I haven't had the crash and burn feeling hit me yet. I'm sure by the end of the day it will. The training room is comfy although a bit warm. I can't imagine how it will feel full of bodies. The one trainer I’ve spoken with so far is very nice. I'm trying to make a list of the things I still need to take are of now that I’ve passed the exam. First and foremost is the background check. That means printing off the form and mailing it off with a money order. I don't think there was anything else that has to be done to it. Except maybe having it notarized. Maybe there is a notary here since I don't know how else i'll find the time to get it done. It will work out somehow. I also want to talk with Jason about whether or not I need to get my MD and DC licenses since he is able to write in both. Another bridge to cross, but I’m not going to let it bother me.

It just dawned on me that this is the first (non-holiday) Monday in months that I haven't spent doing truck. Do I miss it? No! Im not even upset about having to get up earlier for he commute. It is all worth it. Although I do need to find out what time training starts in the morning. We get out at 4:30 so I'm guessing it begins at 8:00. from what I understand I'll be in here for two weeks, then back in the office for a week, and then back in here for a week. A little different from how things were in the past. As long as it provides me with enough background, I'm good.

6:38p

I'm at the library after an uneventful drive. Traffic wasn't too bad, which was surprising. The best part is that I don't have to be in tomorrow until 9:30! I might actually get to sleep in just a tad. All in all I would say day 1 of training was a success. I just wish I hadn't missed the first three hours. I'm going to catch up a bit on my email and such and then head home to have some dinner (well, after putting gas in the Jeep). I hope everyone has a great evening!

No comments: