Thursday, January 7, 2010

"Before and After"

Last night I began reading a book that is recommended by the nutritionist.  Normally I wouldn't have found out about this book until I attend the nutrition seminar on the 19th, but as my friend Gena had her surgery last month she told me about it.  The book is called Before & After by Susan Maria Leach.  The part I read last night is Susan's journal entries from prior to her surgery up through the 18 month post-surgery time.  At times while reading her story I started to cry.  I know what this woman has gone through.  I've been there.  Hell, I'm still there.  I actually find some of myself in her story - and not just the obesity similarity.  Like her I have the mindset that I am making a lifestyle change and there is no room for cheating.  I have no desire to see just how much sugar my post-op body will be able to handle just so I can eat things I shouldn't.  I am actually eager to embark on my new life, and willing to make the necessary changes.

The next section of the book discusses questions and answers regarding weight-loss surgery, and then there is a very large section of recipes that Susan has created that are "safe" for post-bariatric surgery patients.  Gena suggested not reading the recipes until after the surgery because she found herself dreaming she'd eaten and waking up in a panic thinking she actually had.  Those must be some serious pain drugs they give in the hospital.  LOL

I have one other recommended book as well:  Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery.  I had glanced through Gena's copy and think this book will be fantastic.  It contains a lot of recipes, but to me one of the perks is that it gives full nutritional breakdown of the meal AND gives information on the meals based on what post-operative stage you are at!  Talk about great.  :D

Tonight I'm going with Gena to the bariatric surgery support group.  She attended two prior to her surgery, and I believe this is the first one post-op for her.  They meet the first Thursday of each month, and it is mainly people who have already completed the surgery but it is open to those who are pre-op as well.  I'm looking forward to meeting new people and hearing about their experiences.

In other surgery news, my grandma had her surgery this morning to remove the colostomy bag and reattach everything.  The surgery went well and the doctor is very happy with the immediate out-come.  Grandma is going to be sore for a bit as they used the same incision as before, but in several weeks she should be more like her old self again.

No comments: