Monday, January 11, 2010

The "Last" Supper

One of the biggest misconceptions I keep reading about regarding WLS is people feeling the need to have that "last" meal that they will never be able to eat again.  I'm actually to the point where I am finding that attitude quite annoying.  There is no "last time" for anything.  Once the body has healed and the doctor has given the green light for going back to foods of a normal consistency there is no reason you can't have a bite or two of a beloved food.  The thing to remember is you will not be able to eat an entire slice of cake or pie any longer because your body will not be able to cope with the amount of sugar in those items.  The same goes for all processed carbs.  Plus, some people find their bodies don't ever tolerate some foods again (some say red meat is completely out, while others can't eat lettuce/salads).  That is something I considered very closely prior to making my decision.  I realized there is not a single food that I am not willing to give up for life if need be.

With that in mind I did decide to have one thing today that I won't ever be able to enjoy in it's entirety again:  a milkshake from Chik-fil-a.  However, there is a recipe in Before & After that is said to be an acceptable (re: sugar free) version of a Dairy Queen Blizzard.  That works for me.  There are quite few things in my fridge that will be getting tossed because they will go bad before I can even consider eating them.  They are all leftovers so I don't feel as if it is a total waste of money.  Plus, if they aren't in the fridge I have less likelihood of wanting to eat them.  Removing temptation is a huge step.

Over the next two weeks I'll be stocking up on foods that I can have during the liquid and puree stages (usually the first two to three weeks post-surgery).  I already have several resealable containers of stock, so that's a plus.  I've also ordered some of the non-flavored protein powders to mix with things such as stock.  Getting enough liquids, protein and vitamins are going to be my main goal when I come home.  I also ordered some other types of protein mixes and pre-made drinks to sample.  I've been lucky that some of the companies make travel sized pouches.  That will be a life saver when I'm traveling.

Today I had the appointment with the pulmonologist as well as a required breathing test.  All went well with the test, although it did show that I've already begun to have decreased lung capacity due to the excess weight.  He feels that after I begin to lose significant weight (50+ lbs) it should begin to correct itself.  He did provide me with another spray to use to help with the rhinitis problems.  It's just a sample size but he said it may help me breathe a bit better through my nose up until the surgery.  We also discussed the results of the sleep studies and feels that is is highly possible that post surgery the sleep apnea may go away.  I certainly hope so.  We arranged a follow-up appointment for the beginning of May.

I'm starting to become a bit nervous and excited as the date grows closer.  I realized today that I'm more upset than I thought over my mom not being here for my surgery.  I don't deny her health is important, but I find myself really upset that none of my family will be with me during this important day of my life.  I know all my friends will be with me in spirit and that is reassuring... it just isn't the same.

T-02:57 until I am on the pre-op diet.  Time to enjoy nibbling a few more things and drinking that last lonely Sprite in the fridge.  LOL

No comments: