Sunday, January 10, 2010

Everything happens for a reason...

I am thankful for the wonderful friends I have.  The other night after my panic over Mom not coming up for my surgery I sent a message to one of my friends.  Despite the fact that Amanda will have to work in DC the week of my surgery, she is going to come stay at my house to make sure I get to/from the hospital.  I definitely have some angels looking out for me.

I'm still working my way through the book I mentioned before.  I have learned some important things so far, and I've gotten some ideas of things to do in order to stay mentally focused.  I'm really glad I bought the book before my nutritional seminar on the 19th because it's given me time to read through it and formulate questions.

So far there is really only one thing that I'm mildly concerned about and that is the fact that I won't be able to take ibuprofen or Excedrin again.  They are the only medications that give me any relief from my headaches.  I realize with ibuprofen and other NSAIDS that there is a higher risk of ulcers, but I know the WLS isn't aware of how much I take on a regular basis (and have for a number of years) without any problems.  That is something I'll have to speak with him about in our last pre-op one-on-one session.

Tomorrow (well, technically later today) I'm having dinner with Gena and her clan.  We're finally getting to celebrate Christmas since I was sick during the holidays.  I'm so happy with her success thus far since her surgery on December 15.  She had a tiny problem with an infection from a filter they put in her neck (due to a history of blood clots), but she's on the mend from that now.

Monday I meet with the pulmonologist to be assessed regarding the CPAP.  Then he has to do my final pre-op test which is a breathing functions test.  Considering everything else has gone well I'm not expecting any difficulties.  Tuesday is the big day I begin my two week pre-op diet.  That should be interesting.  I've been told to expect to be rather weak the first two days due to my body acclimating to the lowered calorie intake.  So I will plan to stay home those two days.

I still feel confident that I've made the right decision, and I'm more excited than ever about my fast-approaching surgery!

No comments: